Friday 20 May 2016

Mini origami books

Hello everyone! I hope all of you have had an arty week! I know I have. 

Anyway, today I will tell you how I made these origami books.


I started doing them more than a year ago now after we found this great video on making books from scratch. 


The first ones I made were based on the book Where is the Green Sheep? written by Mem Fox with drawings by Judy Horacek. I called mine Where is the Pink Mouse? and Where is the Yellow Owl?. I think I could do a better job of drawing the illustrations now but I still think I did a good job. I still have to finish one called Where is the Purple Cat?
Around that same time mum and I had been reading a book called How To Be An Explorer of the World by Keri Smith. The book suggests arty ways that we can ‘document and observe the world’ (see page 11). One of them is to start a collection based on the first object you see. So we went for a walk through town to see what we could find.
First we found a twisty blue ribbon at the park. So we were looking for twisty things or blue things or ribbony things. As a matter of fact we found a lot of blue things that day. I already had a tiny plastic blue bag and a blue plastic dinosaur which I added to the collection. I bet you’re wondering where the books come into it. Well, we decided to hold the collection in a homemade book and call it Everything is Blue. I typed out the words, printed it in blue ink and pasted everything into the book.








It’s not an everyday book, it looks a bit bumpy. It’s more like an art book.

I haven’t been doing these recently but doing this post has inspired me to do more. I’ll let you know how they go, S.

1 comment: