Sunday 29 May 2016

Sydney Writers' Festival 2016

Hello!!!
Last week my mum, my friend, her mum and I went to the Sydney Writers’ Festival.
It was very exciting to be traveling with a friend. We took two trains and one bus to get there. With a bit of walking in between. 
We got there early so we could line up for some tickets to see Frank Woodley and Aaron Blabey. They are pretty similar authors because they write AND illustrate their own books. 
I knew Frank Woodley from some other things like seeing him in shows on TV which were very funny. My Grandma introduced me to Aaron Blabey’s books and bought me four of them. She gave me Pearl Barley and Charley Parsley, Sunday Chutney, Stanley Paste and Noah Dreary. I was very excited to meet him.
About two weeks before the trip I decided to dress up as Sunday Chutney. Sunday Chutney is a girl who has travelled all over the world and is always the new kid at school. The drawings and the story are very good. Here is a picture of my outfit. I made it from scratch.
Aaron Blabey read us his new book that he’s been writing and drew some characters from his book The Bad Guys. He had a camera which was filming as he drew which was shown on a screen behind him. He also answered some questions from the audience. I asked the question ‘what advice would you give to a kid who wants to write a book?’ 
He said ‘write about something you are interested in and also keep working at it’. I think it was very good advice.
At the end of his presentation he gave out some of the pictures he drew to the people with the best questions. I got a picture of the character Mr Snake.
Frank Woodley’s presentation was very, very funny. He showed us how to walk like a muppet and something he used to do in a stage act which was a crazy game of tips. I laughed a lot. He also told us about how he taught himself to draw his artworks on the computer (my mum was super inspired by this and couldn’t stop talking about it).
We bought two books there. One was called The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon by Aaron Blabey and the other one was called Kizmet and the case of the Tassie Tiger by Frank Woodley.
On the train home we tried drawing the characters from the book The Bad Guys. We copied the picture of Mr Snake that I got and tried to remember how Aaron Blabey drew the others on stage. 
Here are the pictures I drew of them.
I feel very inspired by the two authors we saw and when I grow up I want to write a book. I hope through this post I’ve made you inspired too, S.


PS I photocopied the picture I got and gave it to my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment